JCas Tacoma Wa city easy entry 07 LS #188 "REGISTERED"

Jcas

Maybe who ever tuned your PCM did it for a reason that we are unaware of. You can compare the 2 tunes in VCM Editor and see the differences. (Ctrl+5 will show the differences)
Putting the tune back to Chevy stock is not perfect for our Goblin, but it might be closer than the tune you have.
Resetting STFT and LTFT to zero will start the engine learning process from zero. If you don't reset these, the learning process starts from the old settings, and will just take longer to learn, but it will learn. The reset is in the logging software - VCM Scanner, Vehicle, Controls & Special Functions.
Thank you for all the info but problem still exists.

Ross

Goblin Guru
What have you tested?
The problem still exists on the tune that came with it, and the stock Chevy tune?

Jcas

I had hood off tonight looking over all wiring that I had played with last night. Took thottle pedal out inspected but since I can see it on the hp scan tool and it seems to operate smooth with no glitches. But I did notice on the last run that some of the bounce going down the road had a odd effect so looking over other things but I still think it odd that it all started with an hptuner

Jcas

What have you tested?
The problem still exists on the tune that came with it, and the stock Chevy tune?
Well you can call me crazy but we jumped into the Goblin today even though it has a run issue in the first 2 gears but it ran okay for 350 miles in 100 degree weather. Temp stayed 185 to 190 and only threw a lean on bank one code twice. I was wondering how far you have to run to relearn STFT and LTFT. The new tune seems to let the car come down on compression more the way I like than the old.

Jcas

Well all of you that have followed me through this wonderful experience let me say first it has been a very humbling. I must have changed some values and then saved over original file is the only thing I know that I must have done but with that said Karter saved the day. He unknowingly changed the outcome of the weekend. until now he does not know why I took the car 375 miles one way not running right but the Wife and I needed the wind in our hair very badly and it ran great in 3rd 4th and 5th. So Karter found my fat fingered mess up by Saturday afternoon and in my mothers driveway I grabbed my laptop and applied fixes to car and with another email and a few more adjustments to rev limiter and fans my Goblin is Good to Go.

I want to thank others who reached out to help like Ross it really meant a lot to me for the fast reaction and the carring that you gave in looking for my problem.

I have seen this question many times and the answer always seems to be the same. "What is the fuel mileage in a Goblin. Well if we could ever really drive with out seeing just how well it runs well....... Okay in two different runs to NE Oregon I have ran 28.7 to 30.1. It averages out to 29.4 with all fill ups. It takes some getting used to how the fuel gauge works the 1st 100 miles don't move then the second 100 it falls pretty fast. At any rate once it hits 1/2 tank seems time to get out and stretch anyway.

So to bring everyone up to speed on build I am just two things from done. Paint we will be doing in the next 3 weekends. Then supercharger install. in the midst of all this i need to do a wideband o2 sensor to do a more personal tune. I have as you can see the HP Tuner. After that will be just fixing adding changing what ever my little heart has time for. I do have some plans to do a clutch timing chain and guides and maybe look into the limited slip differential that I found and make sure that it will work for me and the trans that I have either over the winter or next spring.

Last edited:

Jcas

Okay seems that I have been over and over the same things for the past few weeks and finally looks like we are out the other side I hope. For those kinda lost here I was fighting a clutch switch B code and it would limit power in 1st and 2nd gears. Karter has been so great and patient with me sending so much info on the problem. One of the all data charts he gave me had a check list. I finally just done everything on the check list figuring what the hell do I have to loose. One of the very last steps told me to go from 0 to 24 mph and back to 0 7 times and check for codes. With the switch plugged in I had power loss and it started out just like that on the 5th time it tried to go but then it would shut itself back to 30ish percent. But on the 8th or 9th try I was not ready and about gave myself a headache my head hit the back of the seat and away she went. So far no codes and finally today when I put the scanner to her I got a green light. No codes for 40 run cycles.

So finally got to move on to other things I finally installed the E brake. So I am trying something a bit different. I know that we are to use cables from an SS. I decided to just purchase cable clamp and remake the ends of the drum brake cables. So far so good all seems to work other than it is tight between the seats. I took a few photos but I am bad about just doing and then think I should take pics.
20200725_195614.jpg

This is what I removed
20200725_195802.jpg

Here it is at work
20200726_105533.jpg

So I have been tempted to name my car COVID20 as at every turn it seems like a fight to get simple things because of our pandemic. I have been trying for the past three or so weeks I have been trying to find an auto paint store open. I am so far out of this loop as we used to have two or three in Tacoma. I have found out that one company has bought them all and because of our current mess now have store hours of 9 to 4 and I work 8 to 5 and we both have the same days off. So thanks to Amazon and a company called House of Kolor I have now ordered my paint. So with fingers crossed looks good for next weekend to put finishing touches on car.

A true fact is I am tossing over a personal plate GBLN188

Last edited:

Jcas

Okay I have been searching for who posted a post on changing the gallons in the ecm from Cobalt to Goblin. Meaning that the ECM thinks that we have a 14 gallon tank and we now have a 12 or 12.5 and I would like to bring that more current.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Okay I have been searching for who posted a post on changing the gallons in the ecm from Cobalt to Goblin. Meaning that the ECM thinks that we have a 14 gallon tank and we now have a 12 or 12.5 and I would like to bring that more current.
The Goblin tank is 10 gallons at best, probably 9 usable (you av guys know what I mean). Not sure what your getting at to change the gallons in the ECM? The fuel level on the fuel gauge is based off the fuel pump float level. Bending the float arm is the way you could 'calibrate' the gauge to read more accurately. Have never heard of a way to change the ECM to compensate on the fuel level gauge. :)

Jcas

The Goblin tank is 10 gallons at best, probably 9 usable (you av guys know what I mean). Not sure what your getting at to change the gallons in the ECM? The fuel level on the fuel gauge is based off the fuel pump float level. Bending the float arm is the way you could 'calibrate' the gauge to read more accurately. Have never heard of a way to change the ECM to compensate on the fuel level gauge. :)
It has to know as it supposedly knows how many miles to empty. Which in my case seems to be about 150 miles off. I remember someone playing with these settings

Yustas

@Jcas, There is also the curve (table) for translating floating level voltage reading to liters. For sure, it is there in e37 ECM that you have. This table has to be also adjusted where highest float point corresponds to your new tank size value. Considering goblin's tank shape, this curve should be linear.
It depends on how everyone bend float level support, table can be adjusted be each case. For instance I didn't bend it at all.
I draw red line showing how it should be: A - voltage when tank is full - just measure it once, B - reserve fuel - where you want tank empty lamp to come - pick the value you like. To get absolute minimum reading for your case - you have to drive till no fuel))
BTW, there are at least 2 such tables. AFAIK, one for display, another for diagnostic readings and they are different.

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Good info!

On a related item, does anyone notice if their fuel gauge does not register fuel being added in real time? (with the key engaged).
Mine sometimes takes a few hours to fully register full when filling up. Or, maybe it is a few turns on and off of the vehicle?

If the float level is just changing the resistance in the circuit, I would assume it would be instantaneous. Once it registers full, it tracks the level of the tank correctly.

Thoughts?

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Mine’s all over the place it shows 1/4 when it should show 3/4 or on empty
But when I do fill up all the way it does show full right away if it’s working correct no lag on time

Jcas

Good info!

On a related item, does anyone notice if their fuel gauge does not register fuel being added in real time? (with the key engaged).
Mine sometimes takes a few hours to fully register full when filling up. Or, maybe it is a few turns on and off of the vehicle?

If the float level is just changing the resistance in the circuit, I would assume it would be instantaneous. Once it registers full, it tracks the level of the tank correctly.

Thoughts?
Mine works as fast as we can put fuel in. When filling tonight when I left work I left key on to see. When I installed the pump I didn't realize that we fudged the float to get readings right. As well I don't know how big the tank is as I get fuel free at work and it is not metered but by your fuel guage.

Jcas

Here we sit 650 miles from home in Oroville CA. All driven today. I wish I could say uneventful but not the case. Clutch started slipping under hard pull and for whatever reason it won't start with the key. No tools so to speak so I have pulled the crank relay and now jumping it there to start.

I took these photos Thursday at work and found them a bit iconic as we save our donor from this fate other than the shell. Kind of a rags to riches story
20200828_170624.jpg
20200828_170601.jpg

Last edited:

Anks329

I am glad to see that you have yours on the road now. Please be aware of the possible addiction. We don't have a GAA (Goblin Anonymous) . They are very addictive and I have not determined if it is a bad thing but that could be a side affect of being addicted
Absolutely, I’ve done like 80 miles this weekend and it’s been a blast! Can’t wait to drive more