Jim McDonald // Extended Track // '09 HHR SS/TC Automatic

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Its been a while since I've updated my build log, so figured I should document some of the progress before I forget it. All though I work on the car nearly everyday, progress has been painfully slow. Where to begin...

I cleaned up and painted the CV axles. Used VHT wheel paint. Nothing fancy, just a little cleaner.

20200113_083449.jpg20191228_182830.jpg

Last edited:

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I have been trying to decide on seats. The HHR seats were so tall, I decided not to use them. Plus, a guy offered me $400 for the pair so i took it. On a side note, I paid $2200 for my donor, fuel and tip for the trip home from California for my son, included. To date, I've sold off $1800 in parts. Not much left though. Ok, back to the seats. I need something comfortable, especially for momma. I've sat in racing seats, 2 hours is about my limit. I need to make sure that we can run out to the marina at the lake for breakfast and its a pleasant trip, for both of us. Also, I want something that reclines and slides. I will have several people of different sizes who will drive regularly. If I need to, I'll put a fixed racing seat in for track days.

I had a wedding in Utah and heard that Corbeau has a distribution center in the Salt Lake Valley. Long story short is.... the people at Corbeau are awesome. I wrote them a google review that I'll link below. Tried on 20 seats for size. I believe we will go with the LG1, unless someone here convinces me otherwise.

20200103_155125.jpg
20200103_155423.jpg

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I’ve said this many times before but I’ll repeat it again here...having Corbeau install the heaters was one of the best decisions I made on this whole build haha. Went on an extended drive this weekend at 45° and they were awesome to have. I am also using their universal slider which is well made.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I’ve said this many times before but I’ll repeat it again here...having Corbeau install the heaters was one of the best decisions I made on this whole build haha. Went on an extended drive this weekend at 45° and they were awesome to have. I am also using their universal slider which is well made.
I was kickimg the idea around. Figured at least the back half would be warm. Can you set the temperature? Do thry ever get to hot? I have to be careful with skin.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I was kickimg the idea around. Figured at least the back half would be warm. Can you set the temperature? Do thry ever get to hot? I have to be careful with skin.
They include a high/low switch. I usually cycle from high to low about 15 minutes in. I don’t think you need to worry about too hot because if it’s cold enough to be using them you likely have jeans and a jacket on which will keep you from getting too hot.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Well Arc, therin lies the problem, i used to be a dum bass and turned myself into a num bass. Lol!!!!!!

I had my wife and boy sit in a lot of seats. Generally, if a seat is comfortable for you AB people, my skin will be ok.
Jim, If the wife is going with you, it had better be comfortable for her - so, I would definitely go with what she likes and it should be comfortable enough to keep your hammy skin happy. :D

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Well Arc, therin lies the problem, i used to be a dum bass and turned myself into a num bass. Lol!!!!!!

I had my wife and boy sit in a lot of seats. Generally, if a seat is comfortable for you AB people, my skin will be ok.
Oh my gosh, I wasn't even thinking. Sorry about that!

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Oh my gosh, I wasn't even thinking. Sorry about that!
Arc, don't sweat it at all. We joke about it all the time. If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough. Don't get me wrong, if i had it to do again, that's one ride i probably wouldn't take. That being said , i still love bikes, but the Goblin will fill in nicely. With age comes the cage.

KSLunsfo

Plus, a guy offered me $400 for the pair so i took it.
I'm not sure how the HHR seats vary from the cobalts, but I have the fabric SS seats and am curious what they're worth or what I should ask for them. I was originally planning on keeping them, but I have started to consider selling them as I was planning on eventually getting the Corbeaus anyway. Wasn't sure if I should start a dedicated thread to ask this question, but I recalled you mentioning this.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure how the HHR seats vary from the cobalts, but I have the fabric SS seats and am curious what they're worth or what I should ask for them. I was originally planning on keeping them, but I have started to consider selling them as I was planning on eventually getting the Corbeaus anyway. Wasn't sure if I should start a dedicated thread to ask this question, but I recalled you mentioning this.
The HHR seats are higher off the floor and pretty rare for the ss's.

I don't mind you asking the question here, but not sure how many are following this thread now. I slowed down the posts. I work on something nearly every day, just don't get it posted.

KSLunsfo

The HHR seats are higher off the floor and pretty rare for the ss's.

I don't mind you asking the question here, but not sure how many are following this thread now. I slowed down the posts. I work on something nearly every day, just don't get it posted.
Thanks. I see, you're saying the SS HHR seats are pretty rare? Yeah, I was kind of thinking only so many eyes would come across it in a build thread. I try to get something done every day, unfortunately I struggle with every other day or every couple days even.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
My wife asked me one time if I would change out the shower curtain. That made the walls look bad, so had to paint them. Then the flooring looked bad, so new tile. Now the vanity looked bad, and next thing you know, you've spent over $400 on a motor you have no intention of keeping.

Attachments

Last edited:

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Decided to try and powder coat the valve cover. There is a company that will do it for $80. I'm not sure if they pull out the plastic "catch can", but if they do, $80 is a screaming price. If they don't, I'm sure the 400 degrees for 10 minutes will remove the plastic and force the external catch can issue. Only downside is they either do gloss black or red. I did mine in Prismatic Black Jack. Its not perfect, but good enough for me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
The heater line port in the thermostat housing had about 1/4" of corrosion. After I got it cleaned, I noticed a crack that I'm fairly sure was the culprit. Cleaned it up and hit it with some silver solder. Again, not a perfect job, but I think it will hold.

Attachments

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
After cleaning everything else up, the old rusty exhaust looked bad, so thought I'd try my hand at Cerakote. I'm not sure how durable it will be, but it was fairly simple to apply. Granted, I had to pull the glass bead from the cabinet and put in aluminum oxide to get the right blast profile, 1 hr at 300 degrees gas off time, coat, and another 1 hr at 300 cure. Total time, 3 hours. At this pace, Kenny will be done with college and have 2 kids before I finish the car.

Attachments

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
After cleaning everything else up, the old rusty exhaust looked bad, so thought I'd try my hand at Cerakote. I'm not sure how durable it will be, but it was fairly simple to apply. Granted, I had to pull the glass bead from the cabinet and put in aluminum oxide to get the right blast profile, 1 hr at 300 degrees gas off time, coat, and another 1 hr at 300 cure. Total time, 3 hours. At this pace, Kenny will be done with college and have 2 kids before I finish the car.
Cerakote has an extreme high temp offering that many of my suppressors are coated in and are holding up extremely well. I was planning on buying some to try on my exhaust since the high temp spray paints haven't been holding up on my exhaust.