Joebobs build log SS/NA Auto Extended City frame #270

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I went to visit DF a couple of weeks ago to pick up some brake parts and a windshield. I was going to design my own but driving season is ending soon and I am impatient.
View attachment 28533
Got the wheels mounted up and set up to bleed the brakes. I vacuum bled them a few times. Felt like no brakes at all. Saw the driver caliper stay loose after pumping the brakes. Looked like the dry seals were stuck in the notes so the piston would rock back and forth and not close the gap to the rotor. Removed the caliper and stroked it back and forth a few times and helped firm up the pedal. Got it off the Jack stands and checked that the brakes worked and…

View attachment 28534
It drives. The pads do need to bed to the rotors to firm up and I did have one leak but it feels better the more I drive it. Kept the speed low and avoided all intrepids. I still am working on the alignment, side panels, hood and windshield so have plenty to do but nice to have on the ground.
Joe
Your Lincoln is gonna be sad it gets driven so much less when you finish the Goblin……. ;)

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Your Lincoln is gonna be sad it gets driven so much less when you finish the Goblin……. ;)
Maybe. But I did drive it to work today. Just need to get some details finished and then it is on to the title and registration fiasco while I clean up the details.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
With the last parts picked up from DFHQ a couple of weeks ago, Chassis #270 is ready to start the registration process.

Hood mounted and no windshield, as in Texas if you have a windshield, you have to have wipers be inspected. No windshield, no wipers to inspect. Crazy rules, but I will play them. Still don't know what to do with the hood so just cruising in the gelcoat for now.

Got my Lexan tinted side panels mounted. They came out great and block the wind well. Purchased over the internet and only wish was that they were tinted darker.

From the inside, you can barely tell they are there but are protected from wind and debris.

For Texas, I am getting my MCO from DF
Got a neighbor who is an ASE master mechanic that will inspect my car at my house if I give him a ride ;)
I have a weigh station about 3 miles from the house that I will sneak to for my certified weight.
Will get insurance so I can get a safety inspection where I have been taking all my cars for the last 20 years.
Will get a helmet to do some early morning highway runs to log some "drive cycles" for the computer to learn the cats and evap canister that I included in my build..Shush!
Fill out Texas forms VTR-64 for the ASE inspection, VTR-63 as Bill of sale for the motor to me from me, VTR-61 rebuilt vehicle statement even though this is a new build (government), and the 130-U title and registration form.

With all that and pictures of the build, I will go to the regional office to request approval which is where most everyone stumbles.

As I go though the minefield, I will update here and once completed, update the Texas registration site, as the rules and getting through them seem like shifting sand.

Joe

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
If you have the title for the doner car that will help out a lot.

make sure you get a copy of the ase master licenses and such. *must be ase master* I can’t stress this enough. If he’s missing 1 it’s no go. Even if he has other ones that are higher like L1 but not the original 8 that will classify him as a master, it’s no go. They are very specific about this.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
He should be good to go.

I have the salvage title but have not gotten it changed in my name but it is signed over to me, that is why I plan to have ready the VTR-63 Bill of Sale form as they said it is needed if the title is not in my name.

Joe

Joe

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Good. That’ll work. A lot of people will say they are master, but are not. My first inspection the guy had one expired and it was a no go at the dmv, even though he had higher ones like L1. So I had to find someone else.

My title was not in my name, so that shouldn’t matter. I had the craigslist ad and bill of sale from the guy so the title was fine. They keep the title too, so that makes getting rid of the cobalt shell more fun.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Good. That’ll work. A lot of people will say they are master, but are not. My first inspection the guy had one expired and it was a no go at the dmv, even though he had higher ones like L1. So I had to find someone else.

My title was not in my name, so that shouldn’t matter. I had the craigslist ad and bill of sale from the guy so the title was fine. They keep the title too, so that makes getting rid of the cobalt shell more fun.
Hmm, that seems strange as the engine is not the serialized component, the body is. One could put the body back on the road with another engine legally, so one should not have to surrender the title, but I will see when I get there. I hope to not go the sawzall path.

Joe

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Ya. I know. It doesn’t make sense, but it’s the .gov so what do you expect? o_O

They want proof you didn’t steal anything to build the car. The title is the proof, even though the engine/drivetrain could have been replaced at anytime. BUT…………they take the title and that screws up getting rid of the shell. :rolleyes:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I think SACinTX even had to get another inspection with a DPS officer to prove nothing was stolen.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
For those with the standard steering wheel, is there anything to do to separate the wheel and turn signal? I keep banging it when I turn.
603BAB8D-452B-42DF-969F-E6D6D64C44A6.jpeg

Ross

Goblin Guru
The stock steering wheel is held on by 3 bolts. Find longer bolts, put some spacers/washers behind them.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
The stock steering wheel is held on by 3 bolts. Find longer bolts, put some spacers/washers behind them.
I thought of that but then I lose thread engagement on the center nylock nut. As it stand I have less than an inch between the wheel and the stalk so seeing if that is normal or I have something backwards. Snap ring seems correct in groove. I have small hand so I would think that more would have issues.
Joe

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I’m sure it’s correct, just closer to the turn signal stalk than it needs to be. A quick disconnect wheel would fix this or different offset wheel. Anything to get it closer to you.