Question about Copart buying in Michigan but car is in Missouri

Ross

Goblin Guru
FedEx is paying $16.50/hour to throw boxes here in Arkansas.
It never hurts to ask around, and see what you can get somewhere else.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Problem is I just really fear I wouldn't be smart enough for a really good paying job
I'm not smart enough for my job lol but I work hard, show up everyday at 5:45 am and show that I want to be there and use my decent sense of logical reasoning to determine what is broken and then dive in to fix it.

Don't settle at your current rate.

Traé

Problem is I just really fear I wouldn't be smart enough for a really good paying job
this mindset can be drilled into you during highschool. They are very pushy to have you go to college. I had friends that laughed at me when I didn't sign up to go 10s of thousands of dollars in debt. When I graduated 12 years ago, I was unsure what I wanted to do in life so why pay for college? I ended up joining my local sheet metal union when I was 18 making $11.75 an hour starting out so I feel those paychecks o_O. I built a career, got a free education that I can utilize in multiple fields, and have grown since. You don't have to be the sharpest but being the hardest working gets you places. I showed up early, stayed late and never turned down overtime.

If you're going to pursue the build, patience is a big factor. I looked for a car for 5 months, there are decently priced ones on Facebook that I found. I watched all of the available build videos on youtube and read through countless build logs on the forum. Reading the experience of others will let you know if you're up for the challenge.

Desert Sasqwatch

Bigfoot Goblin
Another option is joining the military. Get an education AND experience that can be used after you get out to get a better and higher paying job. Many of the builders on the forum are military veterans, some are still active, and probably all can attest that their military time was worth the effort - and that it most likely benefited their career choices. Also know that every company who is a government contractor has to give preference to ex-military when hiring, and many actively recruit ex-military. Yeah, it's a commitment, but so is any other path to get education and experience. Aim high.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
You have mentioned that you don't want a base model because to add power you would have to "take most of it apart then back together.". If you don't think that that sounds fun, I don't know that its the right car for you in the first place. I've had this thing apart so many times, but that's half the fun. Engineering new solutions and whatnot.

That being said, I think the absolute cheapest you could possibly go right now would be a combination of a couple posts on the classifieds:

@mike_sno has an entire engine and Goblin harness for a late model 2.2L like I have for ~$800: https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/2-2-na-engine-with-harness-ecu-bcu-and-fusebox.4739/

@leebement has an NA auto goblin for $10,500. https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/for-sale-2020-goblin-10500.4984/#lg=post-101564&slide=0

Combine these two and source a junkyard manual transmission and you'd be pretty close to a complete goblin for < $12k excluding shipping/transport. There would be other misc expenses and hurdles like sourcing a manual pedal box, shifter, and other various pieces, but it would get you the closest for the cheapest.

Hayden2053

You have mentioned that you don't want a base model because to add power you would have to "take most of it apart then back together.". If you don't think that that sounds fun, I don't know that its the right car for you in the first place. I've had this thing apart so many times, but that's half the fun. Engineering new solutions and whatnot.

That being said, I think the absolute cheapest you could possibly go right now would be a combination of a couple posts on the classifieds:

@mike_sno has an entire engine and Goblin harness for a late model 2.2L like I have for ~$800: https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/2-2-na-engine-with-harness-ecu-bcu-and-fusebox.4739/

@leebement has an NA auto goblin for $10,500. https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/for-sale-2020-goblin-10500.4984/#lg=post-101564&slide=0

Combine these two and source a junkyard manual transmission and you'd be pretty close to a complete goblin for < $12k excluding shipping/transport. There would be other misc expenses and hurdles like sourcing a manual pedal box, shifter, and other various pieces, but it would get you the closest for the cheapest.
For the biggest thing I planned on doing I have to strip the frame down to just it and nothing more to get it coated, I don't mind to much if I have to work on the engine and little things like that but if bought one it's just the keeping track of every tiny little screw and everything else while the frame gets coated. I might have a place to build the Goblin it just depends if my grandpa agrees to let me use a space in his barn if I can sell his old fishing boat he's been trying to sell for quite some time now

Hayden2053

So your color choice is enough to kill the project?
Yes and no, with having the car coating in what I planned on getting it done in it'll need to be fully stripped and if it's pre-built I don't fully trust my self to be able to keep track of every little screw and washer for the little while the frame is gone. I'm planning on doing a wine red frame and mid night purple body panels

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
There! I Fixed it for you.;) Keep On Dreamin' Y'all!!
I raised my children on the motto: A man without a dream is an empty vessel. Never, Never, Never give up on dreams. Hayden has dreams and planning ability on his side. It's easy to fall back into doubt and if we aren't careful it can consume us. I'd rather be consumed by dreams than doubts.
Hayden, everyday we build, maybe not everything but everyday a little more gets done. Keep the big picture and keep building. Very few Goblin builds went fine! Building a kit car is to set out across a dark plain, "terra incognito". But a build it is NOT a speed race, it is a marathon. Accept the fact that schedules are dreams as well and rarely can be met, but every one has a schedule so we get to somewhere by every sundown. You can do this as the builds of many others prove it is do-able, time is always a factor, don't let time be the enemy. This forum exists because Goblin builders hit snags and walls; mysteries they must settle to move on. I'm not just a cheerleader/Grand Pa, I'm here to help when and where I can. We all are.
I believe I read that a bunch of dedicated car mechs up in Wisconsin(I think) built one in about 6 days, but that was about 4 Experienced car techs working in concert and along with their years of experience, acquired auto repair skills and tools,(apparently being friends was a secret sauce to the build) PLUS they were very organized. An unrealistic scenario for a lone builder!

Get the kit(and get all raw steel painted quickly) and a donor; and IF you keep the dream alive, the rest will get done as life allows. Go read my GOB-BALT posts in the Other Builds forum. I am away from my garage for 10 months at a time, but getting to travel and see the world! When I get home tools get flung and progress is made. Life takes us all somewhere and if we try hard, we get to steer.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Yes and no, with having the car coating in what I planned on getting it done in it'll need to be fully stripped and if it's pre-built I don't fully trust my self to be able to keep track of every little screw and washer for the little while the frame is gone. I'm planning on doing a wine red frame and mid night purple body panels
Plan on being organized, sounds dumb, I know. BUT if you make it part of the plan it is integrated into the dream. Make organization a component of the process, not an after thought.(collect up those coffee cans! Label them with a Sharpie marker,) It will pay in every project.(I have little tubs of car parts all over the shop, looks a little messy but it pays!)

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Plan on being organized, sounds dumb, I know. BUT if you make it part of the plan it is integrated into the dream. Make organization a component of the process, not an after thought.(collect up those coffee cans! Label them with a Sharpie marker,) It will pay in every project.(I have little tubs of car parts all over the shop, looks a little messy but it pays!)
Cans and plastic tubs are good, but don't count out the almighty ZIPLOK BAG!! And Sharpie of course... These bags are tough and come in all sizes, plus, investment is minimal. Keep the dream alive, my friend!!

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
You could just live with whatever color you can afford and have the skills to handle. It will drive the same whatever color it is.
^this

Powder coating can cost as much as you have budgeted for your donor. Managing expectations and priorities is an important skillset and getting into this project with color preferences steering you away from an opportunity could be regrettable. I had many ideas on what colors I wanted to use but my build was complete before I finally decided on wrap colors for my hood and panels.

Hayden2053

^this

Powder coating can cost as much as you have budgeted for your donor. Managing expectations and priorities is an important skillset and getting into this project with color preferences steering you away from an opportunity could be regrettable. I had many ideas on what colors I wanted to use but my build was complete before I finally decided on wrap colors for my hood and panels.
I'm actually thinking about something other than powder coating and it comes with a life time warranty, the wrap for body panels is a good idea. I also don't even know what shipping would cost me for a full or even stage one of the kit and I have not found a way to find out before just ordering it

Traé

I'm actually thinking about something other than powder coating and it comes with a life time warranty, the wrap for body panels is a good idea. I also don't even know what shipping would cost me for a full or even stage one of the kit and I have not found a way to find out before just ordering it
I would say it depends where you're located. I am in central Ohio and it cost me $1,000 to ship it NEAR my house. I had to trailer it to my house due to the semi not being able to make it back in the neighborhood.

Hayden2053

I would say it depends where you're located. I am in central Ohio and it cost me $1,000 to ship it NEAR my house. I had to trailer it to my house due to the semi not being able to make it back in the neighborhood.
Honestly it's pricey yes but really not bad for it being delivered via semi, I wouldn't mind if I had to drive somewhere in my state to trailer it home but I don't think I could drive to Texas for that. I'm pretty much dead mid Michigan

Traé

Honestly it's pricey yes but really not bad for it being delivered via semi, I wouldn't mind if I had to drive somewhere in my state to trailer it home but I don't think I could drive to Texas for that. I'm pretty much dead mid Michigan
I would have loved to pick it up, see the operation and meet the team but cost of fuel, housing and time off work was not worth the drive compared to shipping it. The wait was excruciating though haha. I plan to visit eventually.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
My paycheck for the last two weeks of work is pending to my account right now and It just pained me to look at, 380 for the last two weeks and 350 comes out for the Goblin fund so it leaves me 40 for gas and nothing else
The thing is, I didn't even get my drivers license til I was 19 because there was no money for cars and insurance. I bummed rides all through high school and took the train home from college. Now I have 3 cars for me and one for the wife and soon another one for my kid. Be patient. Like @Ark :D stated before, invest and take care of yourself and the dreams will come true down the road.

My mom was a community college math teacher and she saw all too often young adults falling for the same traps older adults do. Becoming car poor as a youth and house poor for older adults. They work hard during school to pay for their fancy car and don't have the time or energy to complete the school work which has the plan to break them out of the poor cycle. Delayed gratification. Get the education that will push your salary higher and the toys later will come easier.

Chubbs

Being smart isn't a requirement.

I have worked with welders that made $200k per year, and collected unemployment for 5 months of it.
I have worked with business owners that were C students in high school and never went to college. They often own million-dollar-per-year (profit) businesses.
I have worked with farmers that dropped out of high school and now own $4M+ of paid-off equipment.

None of these people are necessarily smart, at least not in the traditional sense. In my experience, they have two things in common:
1. Show up on time
2. Be ready to work

Repeat. Forever. If you can do those two things, you'll be tremendously successful, because most people can't or won't do those two things. Just doing those two bare-minimum things will put you in the top 25% of employees in the whole country.

Chubbs

Now, for the goblin...I don't like crushing dreams, but I will crush nightmares. Building a project car with no budget in a barn that isn't yours sounds like a nightmare to me. A Goblin is a really fun dream car, but an unfinished goblin that you ran out of money for and can't get on the road is a $15k daily reminder of your poor financial decisions.

I would apply the Dave Ramsey test here: Can you afford to set $15k on fire in your front yard? If you can, a Goblin will be a great experience. If not, you're probably not ready to build one yet.