r3drckt - extended track - 06 SS/SC G85

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
That'd be great, huh? I agree! However, have you ever been to North Texas? Have you ever driven in Texas traffic? The roads here are not the nicest to go cruising on & the traffic is even worse! You'll see our Goblins & crew here & throughout the coming year but having a get together here? Not that we don't LOVE our Goblin family but NAH....;)
Meet up at Waxahachie or Bardwell Lake for cook out, swing by the Texas Motorplex (maybe an event going on) and finish up at the shop in Red Oak (or reverse this itinerary?). That would be fun day. ;)

GoblinGal

Goblin Guru
Meet up at Waxahachie or Bardwell Lake for cook out, swing by the Texas Motorplex (maybe an event going on) and finish up at the shop in Red Oak (or reverse this itinerary?). That would be fun day. ;)
I do LOVE Waxahachie...After all I just built a new house there. By the way, we just sold 2 within the GREAT STATE OF TEXAS back to back this last week. YEEHAW!!!!

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Working on a new coil cover for the LSJ. It’s larger than my print bed so had to slice 1mm down the middle. Need to add supports for the O and B or change the font all together. Then need to see about an online printer to do a single piece to ensure it still lines up. End result would be 1/8” steel or aluminum painted to match my color scheme (red valve cover, bronze coil cover). Open to suggestions as well.

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You could print or add a back plane and the light it up with LEDs. Possibly cut a sheet of acrylic and mount just behind it to glue the center of the "O" and "B" and then light the acrylic from the sides. Now you got me thinking....

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
My worry is the PETG wouldn’t stand up to the engine temps without melting/warping if I were to print them out. But it should do fine since the print head has to get to 230C to extrude it.

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
My worry is the PETG wouldn’t stand up to the engine temps without melting/warping if I were to print them out. But it should do fine since the print head has to get to 230C to extrude it.
Good point. Material tends to soften long before the actual melting point.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
How hot does the cam cover get during normal operation? I can't imagine it's much more than 20-40 °F above the coolant temperature. My fan cuts on at 150 °F though

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
How hot does the cam cover get during normal operation? I can't imagine it's much more than 20-40 °F above the coolant temperature. My fan cuts on at 150 °F though
Not sure. Never took a laser temp gauge to the valve cover during operation before tear down.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
PETG has a glass transition temperature of about 75 °C (167 °F), but in this application may be serviceable well beyond that.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The oil operating temperature, plus bleed over from the close exhaust manifold (maybe), will be the nominal temperature the valve cover will see - which is typically several degrees above the coolant temperature.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Thanks. First thing I've actually designed and printed for the Goblin so I'm excited. Now to have it cut in Aluminum, powder coated and mounted.

Ross

Goblin Guru
That turned out nice. Why did you make it in Nylon if you wanted it in aluminum? Was it expensive to have it made?