Ross's extended city, easy entry Goblin- 06 SS/SC, NW Arkansas

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
What fluid are you running in your trany? I'm not sure what yours calls for, but I put 70 weight in one about 15 years ago and it called for transcend if I remember right. Did exactly what you're describing. I think the syncros are picky. Granted, the only thing Ive shifted gears in, in the last 20 years, is a chevy luv on dirt roads.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Good point, fluids can change the way it feels.
I use Redline MT-90 Manual Trans Fluid

Even this guy selling a high mileage LSJ mentions 2nd gear grinds.

Last edited:

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Good point, fluids can change the way it feels.
I use Redline MT-90 Manual Trans Fluid
View attachment 16924

Even this guy selling a high mileage LSJ mentions 2nd gear grinds.
Agreed, if it's only one or two gears, it's probably a worn out sycro or defect. Sounds like Justin has paved the road for you. Alternatively, you seam handy with the torch and welder, maybe an F40 is in your future.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Not winning...
The new axle went 90% the way in. About 1/4" more to go, and then it stopped. Won't go forward, won't come back out.
I tried using a lever to pull it out. It bent the lever.
Today I made some 1/8" shims, and tried to get the axle out. Still stuck.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
It's always been my limited experience that no matter how much prying you do, they don't like to release with prying. It seems the only way they go in or out is with a swift yank or push. But I'm sure you have tried that.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I haven't tried a yank to pull it out, as the axle is only connected with a rubber boot.
So I need to pull from the triangular bucket near the transmission, which has a rounded base, making it difficult to hang on to.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I haven't tried a yank to pull it out, as the axle is only connected with a rubber boot.
So I need to pull from the triangular bucket near the transmission, which has a rounded base, making it difficult to hang on to.
Have you tried an axle remover tool? This is what I use and it comes out first slide tap. I believe you can rent them from autozone or advance. After using one I will never go back to a pry bar causes no damage to the exterior of transmission.
CFF2A173-A3C0-4548-AA8A-C3DB3EE6C801.png

Ross

Goblin Guru
Have you tried an axle remover tool? This is what I use and it comes out first slide tap. I believe you can rent them from autozone or advance. After using one I will never go back to a pry bar causes no damage to the exterior of transmission.
View attachment 17192
Thanks guys. No, i didn't know about this tool.
Glad to have a new direction, as I wasn't winning with my current approach.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Scrap metal is selling for $100/ton, so I got $53 for the old blue shell, and a trunk full of junk metal that I have put in there for the past 2 years.

This morning I aggressively whipped the back end around, and the front tie rod mount broke. Didn't hit anything. (Of course it did survive a few off road excursions during an autocross event, so maybe it was pre-weakened)

A closer look at the break point, and there just isn't much metal left there after the DF milling machine lightened the part. The guy who won Matt's off road DF Goblin also broke this part, so I am not the first. He mentioned that DF makes this part extra beefy, without the extra lightening, so Adam, if you are reading this, I need two beefy ones too!

Luckily I own a TIG welder and milling machine, so I got a free ride home from the guy (Mike) who I was giving a ride to, I picked up my tow vehicle, an hour later, I welded and milled the part. Mike gets his Goblin ride at 5:30 today, so I better adjust my tow in now.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
OUCH! Dang, need to order a pair of 'beefy' tie rod mounts and a pair of the 3/8 steel ball joint mounts - after seeing these failures. Need to email Adam to get a price on these.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Anybody have turbo intake parts they want to part with?
I am collecting turbo parts for my LSJ, and need a A2W intercooler, radiator, intake charge aluminum pipes, silicon pipes and clamps.
Let me know if you have parts you're willing to sell me. 479-640-9941

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I've got a brand new intake manifold from a LDK engine I'd sell, but that's about it for extra turbo bits.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I've got a brand new intake manifold from a LDK engine I'd sell, but that's about it for extra turbo bits.
Thanks for checking.
I am planning on using the stock LSJ intake manifold, but who knows, maybe someone else will chime in and want it.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Thanks for checking.
I am planning on using the stock LSJ intake manifold, but who knows, maybe someone else will chime in and want it.
have you considered the zzp LSJ turbo into kit for $1500? I’m considering it at the moment. That alone, with no other mods, is supposed to get 300-325whp on 93