SwerveMonkey's Street Goblin #197 - 08 Donor

SwerveMonkey

What’s with the fuel pump codes in that report? Is the pump working correctly?
I can jump the relay like the video guide directs. I'm sure that I've grounded the fuel pump. It's tied to the ground underneath the fuse box.

Even tried to rotate & swap the relay in case that was it, no joy.

SwerveMonkey

I was able to hear the fuel pump grab fuel when priming it manually like in the video... from what little bit of searching I've seen the 0230 code can be either a bad relay or another electrical gremlin on the BCM side. There is an autozone near me, I'll grab their loaner fuel pressure tester.

another suspicion is maybe the signal isn't being sent at all to open the relay, Is the pump supposed to prime for a moment when the key is turned to "on" position?

SwerveMonkey

Quick Update...

after some research on similar, if not the same problem, in Cobalts as well as Impalas I was able to eliminate a few "suspects"

Cobalt and Impala owners that had similar problems of not being able to turn the car over found electrical issues related to the wiring and or frayed wires. I've tested the relays, clickety-click-click, and both the fuel pump relay and the spare, AC-comp relay, work just fine.

I was able to get the engine to turn over with the help of a jumper from, IIRC, pin 30 to pin 86 on the fuse block. but this is not an acceptable solution as revving the engine seemed to be a bad news bears.

at this point I suspect that I either have a frayed wire somewhere in the loom, or something else is preventing the controls side from triggering the fuel pump relay to close.

which leads me to renew my efforts to finish my wire harnes diagram i started so long ago and complete it.

SwerveMonkey

I had not even caught this the first time i pulled the fuse block out. I had only checked that the pin slots were not corroded and were still solidly soldered to the board. so I started to search for which harness wire had the relay low voltage signal to trigger the relay and ended up trying to locate the circuit on the fuse block so I could trace it back to source.

It was thanks to the post below on the YourCobalt forums that I confirmed this problem my suspicions.

Very similar situation: new fuel pump, relays were fine, no pressure at the rail with a P0230 code being pulled.
with any luck this will be the final nail in the coffin and I can bolt up the final bits of Stage One before the next stage arrives.

now that I am almost tem pages in, I really have to take some time to edit the first post and throw a Table Of Contents in there.