Tinkles Street Monster - No donor Extended City chassis

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Bad news. I lost my job yesterday. I have enough saved to be ok for a few months, but that means all frivolous spending has to stop. I am going to pay what I owe to the fab shop and bring the Goblin home. Anything after that is unknown. As of now I am not planning on selling off my kit or parts. Powder coat is the tipping point to where progress was really going to speed up and I was almost there.
I am sorry.
The negative impact of this economic train wreck is going to be deeper and further than anyone expects.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Kyle, sorry to here about your job loss. Hopefully this is only temporary and you will be back at work soon. Taking a break from the build, if you can afford to keep it, is not a bad thing under the circumstances. Family comes first and I'm praying this mess will be over with sooner rather than later. Keep the faith. :)

Tinkles

I had been extremely unhappy there for the past few years and was only staying there for the money. The place made me feel worthless all the time and stressed everyday. Not to mention that it was a nightshift position that I was on for almost 8 years and that messes with you in a whole other way. Aside from the loss of income and uncertainty of the future, I am ok with it. I already have 2 phone interviews lined up for Monday, I doubt they will cover all of my bills but it'll help extend my savings until I find something better.

Tinkles

So the Goblin has been on the back burner. I did bring it home almost 2 months ago. I did find a new job shortly after and am still there for the time being, but it is not covering my bills and is not going to work out. But I did just recently get hired with a new company and I can potentially make more than I ever had before if I am successful at it, but I have to take online classes to get licensed before I can officially start. I was never really a morning person at all, but it is amazing getting up at 5-6am after working from 6pm to 6am for almost 8 years

Here you can see a bunch of what was done. Windshield frame, side pods, new dash bar, harness bar, flat stock to mount the Kirkeys, and upsidedown steering column mount(will get fixed later on when they stop by to add mounting tabs for coolant/heat exchanger tanks and other misc stuff.

Close up of the top of the windshield frame. Still needs some massaging. It is flat stock welded onto a round tube and filled with weld on top to smooth it out. The mounting lip for the windshield is recessed 1/2" per recommendation of my local glass guy who will be doing the windshield. 1/4" for the glue and another 1/4" for the glass itself and hopefully it'll sit flush.

Bottom view.

New dash bar just to clean things up and match the contour of the hood better. The hood will have to be cut up to fit with this windshield design. Extra square tubing added to the floor so I am not stepping on the aluminum bottom panel and a big piece of flat steel to mount my Wilwood pedal box to. Yes the bracket for the steering column is on upside down. It'll get fixed when the fab guy stops by to finish up the hood pins and misc. mounting tabs.

Extra square tubing in the floor again and flat stock to mount the Kirkeys to.

Side pods on both sides and they will be set up the same. Kawasaki KFX700 radiators from Mishimoto to be used as heat exchangers for the supercharger system.

Side view.

And mounting tabs on both to fit a Mishimoto 25 row oil cooler. At the moment I am not planning on running them, but wanted the tabs there in-case I need to run them in the future.

And clearance for the F40 trans, better shot of the harness bar, top mounting bracket for the fuel tank was raised 3"(more on that in a few months hopefully), and for you Desert Sasqwatch, relocated fuel filler. The Radium FCST I have has a fuel fill provision on it so this location gives a pretty straight shot right too it. "But that is where the electronics go!!!!" All of the electronics are going under the hood since I have to build custom harnesses for the MS3 Pro. The only things that are going to be back there is the drivetrain, fuel tank and filter, coolant tank, and heat exchanger tank and...... those tanks are most likely going to be custom built.

That's all I have for now.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Relocated fuel fillers are a sign of being seriously set on doing too many mods! But they also add that cool factor for doing something different than everyone else. :p
Glad to hear the job issue seems to be working itself out, hoping this new lead gets you back into a financial comfort zone and you can cover all the bills. Stay safe.

Tinkles

Yea, what was intially going to be a few changes(windshield, F40 clearancing, and side pods) kinda snowballed. It didn't help that the fab guy liked working on it and never said no when another idea popped into my head.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
OMG, seems to be a disease that most Goblin builders get. When you have time to sit with your car (come on, you know you do it) and your engineering brain starts thinking about how things go together and then the ideas start - what ifs, maybes, and this would work better/last longer/make it go faster/handle better/be really cool. :p

Tinkles

When I can afford to spend $1000 on the car again. Hopefully sooner rather than later, but as of now I do not have a definite answer. To help your sanity I can drop another possible teaser. While spending the day at a off road truck show today I ended up hanging out and talking with 2 guys from Hawk Performance for a few hours. Their HPS pad has been my go to pad for 15ish years and they liked that alot. So the teaser is: Offers were made and I plan on seeing if they follow through on them.

Tinkles

A buddy stopped by today and we got the chassis 90% painted with Steel-it. We have to flip it over to get the underside. I only ordered 4 cans of Steel-it and turns out that 5 cans is the magic number to paint a whole goblin chassis. So far I am happy with the results.

And on an unrelated note. I have an abandoned vehicle in the woods on my property. My buddy and I took a walk back to look at it and we were able to positively identify it as a 1950s Willies Wagoneer. It makes me sad knowing what it is now. Maybe after I finish the Goblin I'll drag it out and attempt to save it, but it is quite possible that it is too far gone.

Last edited:

Tinkles

Hawk Performance followed through with their offer.

Street 5.0(F) and HPS(R) for street driving.
HP Plus(F) and HPS(R) for autocrossing.
DTC-60(F) and DTC-30(R) for road racing.

I am running SS/TC front and Evo 9 rear Brembo calipers so the exact part numbers will be no good to anyone else. I told them the car setup and what I planned on doing with it and this is what was sent. The best part beside making a few new contacts that could possibly help promote the car is that all 5 sets were free. I know it is a marketing ploy. Give a long time customer some free stuff and they'll recommend their product to other people. I am not ashamed to say that it worked.

Kenny123

I just placed the order for my chassis so I guess I can finally start one of these.

1st a little background. I have spent the past 10 years messing with the Cobalt's older sibling the Chevrolet Cavalier. I currently have a 2003 Cavalier base model that is all fancied up with LS Sport "body kit" and a bunch of carbon fiber. I went through the whole suspension and upgraded what I could and tossed a Harrop HTV1320-LSJ supercharger on the stock engine. It dynoed 283whp/246wtq last fall on 101 octane fuel. The car is basically as good as I can get it without cutting it up and redesigning everything. I did build a Gen 1 L61 Ecotec(from a Cavalier) to swap in it to hopefully make over 400whp with the Harrop supercharger. But I have reached the point that I want a better, RWD chassis to play with. I have known about the Goblin for awhile now, but never put much thought into it unit I saw Matt Farah's video on it. Then I saw that Demo Matt got one and then I got more familiar with just how awesome a Goblin could be from his videos. So last fall I started gathering parts, put some money aside, and told myself that at tax return time/spring time I would order one. So now I ordered an Extended City chassis Goblin(Base/Manual).

The goals for my Goblin. Mainly a street car with some light track/autocross use. I want it to be absolutely bonkers, over 400whp with a blower. I know not using a donor is going to be more expensive and increase the difficulty of the build. Since I am going to be using the engine from a Cavalier, the transmission from a Saab, and whatever upgraded Cobalt parts I can get I do not feel like spending the effort buying, stripping, and deposing of a Cobalt.

Ok, enough of the boring stuff and onto the parts I have acquire so far.
1st up is the engine.
-Gen 1 L61 block
Weisco 10:1 pistons
Eagle rods
Eagle crank
Powerbore sleeves
GMPP hardened oil pump gears
-LSJ cylinder head
Ferrera +1mm oversized valves
Supertech 78lb springs
ZZP "Stage 2" LSJ blower cams
GMPP adjustable cam gears
Golden Eagle head studs
Stock LSJ head gasket

Boost will be handled by my Harrop HTV1320-LSJ blower from my Cavalier, 2.7" blower pulley, and ported intake manifold.

For the transmission I will be using a Getrag F40 and ZZP's F40 swap kit for the Cobalts. The main issue I already know that I'll have is the flywheel/clutch. I cannot use the included flywheel. The L61 has a 6-bolt flywheel where as the LSJ/LNF both have 8-bolt. I do plan on installing a Wavetrac LSD.

Since I am using a Cavalier engine the Cobalt's stock PCM/ECU will not run it(different trigger wheels on the crank). So I am going with a full standalone ECU.

Besides a few other odds and ends that is the meat of the parts I have so far. What stock parts I do need I'll run to the junkyard for and everything else I'll try to get upgraded parts.

Other ideas I have that I'll look more into once the chassis arrives are:
Hydrolic or manual power steering(downside to not running the Cobalt computers)
Manual brakes(LNF Brembos with Wilwood manual master cylinder and pedal box)
Side mounted heat exchangers/oil cooler
Body wrapped in a colored carbon fiber/kevlar
Cable driven throttle body

For wheels I am wanting 17x8 for the fronts and 17x9 for the rears. Tires I am looking at Hankook RS4s in 245(front) and 285(rear). I am fairly sure a 285 R-comp will be too much tire for it, but I am planning on having over 400whp and hoping something large like that will hook up.

I also will be setting the car up to run E85/E90.

I want to try to document the whole build on Youtube. I have never tried anything like that, so it might be quite painful to watch for a while.

I think that is everything. I'll update when new parts come in and try to answer any technicial questions to the best of my knowledge.

And a parting gift for the curious. The 2003 Cavalier that I built.

Wow that's AMBITIOUS!! good for you man. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm gonna bleed my clutch hahaha. Dang...

Tinkles

How did you apply the Steel-it?
Rattle cans.

I got the coolant tubes pulled Thursday night. I ended up strapping the chassis to the shelves on the back wall and tying the pull rope to the lawn tractor to pull them. Then I spent a few hours today and yesterday tossing the front suspension together to make it look like I finally have made progress.

I had to toss the calipers on. This coming week I plan on ordering the front brake rotors. With that I should have everything to button up the front brake system. I just have to sucker a friend in stopping by to help position the Wilwood pedal box to be able to have it plumbed 100%.

It is feeling really good watching my parts stockpile start to shrink.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The upper control arms, right? They look fine to me and if I flip them they hit the shock.
They are correct. I was referencing an old picture I had and ours were wrong. I just verified with our current build. They are correct. Sorry about that.

Tinkles

Awhile ago I ordered stainless steel brake lines for my daily driver(2010 Lancer Ralliart(baby Evo)) and when I went to install them something didn't look right. Turns out they were for an Evo X and the Ralliart ones are different. Turns out they fit the Goblin pretty well. I had to re-flare the hardlines(different flare). I opted out of DF's front brake lines since I already had a Cobalt set. Anywho, not that special.

I wanted to plumb the front brakes last night, but I overlooked ordering a horn. Next day shipping from Amazon.

Fuel filler is officially in and tossed on the rear brake lines.

Spending 1-2 hours a night working on it can make some decent progress. If I keep it up I will be waiting on parts again in 2ish weeks. I gotta get the new fuel tank built soon and I have to swap out valve spring retainers in my engine. Turns out Supertech had an issue with the retainers contacting the cam followers and chewing up the retainers. They have since discontinued that valve spring kit. Luckily they have a set of revised retainers that are a direct swap. I am just not looking forward to doing it at all.