Winter Weather Thread

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
All this reminds me of the old "Australia temp" meme. Except replace the Australian flag with the Texas state flag, lol!

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Pretty bad to be honest. We lost power at 7 last night and the house is freezing. I just got my generator running and ran some power to the inside so we can run space heaters. Water is pretty froze. It’s currently about 17 outside. 46 in the house. This isn’t good for us. :confused:
I have been without power since 3am and we are currently at 43f inside and expecting down to 35f tonight. Will get down to 11 outside. Wife is a quilter so have LOTS of blankets.

but almost finished the wiring harness so not a total loss of a day.
Joe

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
We are expecting 5-9” tonight and another 3-5” on Thursday. It’s currently 15degs out. Sooo just another Monday for us here in Michigan

pisco

best wishes to the south. Without the infrastructure to deal with this winter weather you guys are dealing with the worst possible situation.

Here in Omaha the high today got up to -4 and the low overnight is -20something?
wind chill as I roll into work tomorrow is forecast at -40 to -45 machinery gelled up even with diesel treat, had to wrap it in concrete blankets and put heaters under it. To top that off we are starting rolling blackouts because of strain on the grid. (They shut down 3 local power plants because of emissions and one nuke for anti nuke reasons)

yesterday the boss lady at home had a flat on her Tahoe, valve stem frozen so I grabbed a mapgas torch to warm it up enough to fill and the map gas was liquid in the bottle but not pressurized... had to run hot water over it

TheDon

Was doing awsome on my harness until I got 2 wires I can't find in video 10 going to try a while longer before I give up and ask for help.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I have been without power since 3am and we are currently at 43f inside and expecting down to 35f tonight. Will get down to 11 outside. Wife is a quilter so have LOTS of blankets.

but almost finished the wiring harness so not a total loss of a day.
Joe
It’s 20 right now outside, 54 in front of our little heaters. The rest of the house is 45-49*. I worry about the pipes that are in the attic on the north side taking all the wind. Like the quilting thing, This is where hunting gear comes in handy. :D

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
It’s 20 right now outside, 54 in front of our little heaters. The rest of the house is 45-49*. I worry about the pipes that are in the attic on the north side taking all the wind. Like the quilting thing, This is where hunting gear comes in handy. :D

Ouch.... I have 3 space heaters in my garage going to make sure it stays above freezing Don't want my water lines to freeze. Its -4 outside

Nuker-

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I think about the coldest I'd take it out in normal circumstances would be around 50F. I'd be tempted to at least try once though, bundling up and taking it out between 35F-40F. But not in 25F, snow, and winds. :cool:
I did a few low 30's on a few morning drives to work. What a pain to get the lap belt over the double hoodie. On the bright side it was close to 60 on the way home.

and no I do not miss it.

Tinkles

Freezing rail all day today in NEPA. Not even going to attempt to get the mail. Driveway is too steep and I have doubts about getting back up it. But good news is that it is suppose to warm up tonight and be in the 40s tomorrow. I really should make some garage time and work on my Goblin.

pisco

a trick we use in the frozen north is to let faucets drip , flowing water doesn’t freeze.

pisco

Freezing rail all day today in NEPA. Not even going to attempt to get the mail. Driveway is too steep and I have doubts about getting back up it. But good news is that it is suppose to warm up tonight and be in the 40s tomorrow. I really should make some garage time and work on my Goblin.
if you have a stretched out pair of old socks stretch them inside out over your shoes and you will have traction.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I must apologize for the kind of insensitive subject line of this thread ... now that there's actual treacherous conditions down south, I feel bad for jesting about it. I am sorry Southerners. :oops::oops::oops: :eek::eek::eek:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
a trick we use in the frozen north is to let faucets drip , flowing water doesn’t freeze.
Ya. That’s what we have been doing. We normally only drip the outside, but without power/heat, we have been dripping the inside Too, plus turning them on full for a few second about every hour.

This is technically our last hell night. We start to warm up after this, but still not out of the woods. Its 10* outside right now, 43 inside and 50 in front of the space heaters.

Attachments

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I must apologize for the kind of insensitive subject line of this thread ... now that there's actual treacherous conditions down south, I feel bad for jesting about it. I am sorry Southerners. :oops::oops::oops: :eek::eek::eek:
Don’t go backpedaling on us now. In a few days it will be 70 and we will be out driving the goblins.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We were -1 this morning at DF and with no power.
We text the crew and told them to stay home until power came on.