Winter Weather Thread

pisco

I just read the reason we have been having rolling blackouts is to supply our friends to the south (only a small part of Texas) with enough juice to thaw out. Our public power utility is a member of the southwestern power pool.
I can’t imagine the damage done by this polar vortex down there where structures weren’t designed for it. We set record lows here and it was difficult but we made it through. I’m glad to learn what we had complained about was not what we had thought and we were able to help no matter how minor it may have been.

Good to know you are in the know. You just never know who don't know. :)
17 years in the electrical field
Ibew local 22 journeyman inside wireman.

I also recommend opening the main (turning off)
To prevent the inrush current from frying electronics and appliances when the power comes back on.

GoblinGal

Goblin Guru
Here's a little fact: Right now the USPS in the DFW area has been fully closed for 4 days now, all offices closed & no mail service of any type. The old saying of "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." seems to apply now a days. Both DF Kit Car & Stewart Transportation pulled off something today that even the USPS couldn't do! I know the guys had to be FREEZING loading up today, it's still below freezing here! To those of you that are part of today's load, we want to see pictures of your delivery! Share when you can!

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
This I believe is the first time to load multiple kits in the snow. We have loaded some kits one at a time into pickup trucks or trailers.

The driver didn't seem to mind at all. He would hoist one up and into the trailer and we would wheel another out to him.

This is the first time we have ever shipped nine at one time. He was able to set all nine on the floor and even had room for one more on the floor. He has racks that allow him to stack kits above these so technically he could carry twenty at one time. That would be a sight.

Due to trucks breaking, drivers getting covid, and bad road conditions we had to set on top of these for a few weeks longer than we had expected. Our welders kept welding out more frames so we were up to our ears with frames. They were stuck in every corner of every building. Nine leaving all at one time was like having a new building built. So much more space.

Time to work on the next load!