Manny's City Goblin - 07 SS/SC Donor

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
A little more accomplished last night. The springs are on, the firewall is in (pneumatic rivet gun would have def helped with the ones that attach the bottom panels together). I also removed all the lug studs, then put them back in the 5/114.3 holes. Luckily I have a good impact gun made this so much easier.

The only issue right now is that my coolant tank will not really sit on the attachment points of the frame without kinking the hose, I ordered a new hose that has the bends I need, but I'm wondering how it will fit with the air intake on.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Thanks, I'd like to do mine, but i just don't think I'm going to end up having my media blaster up and running by the time I start powdercoating the other raw metal parts.
Use aircraft stripper (strong paint remover). It will make quick work of those springs. But really nasty stuff. You can find it at most automotive stores that sell automotive paint supplies. Make sure it says “aircraft paint remover” or something like that.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Use aircraft stripper (strong paint remover). It will make quick work of those springs. But really nasty stuff. You can find it at most automotive stores that sell automotive paint supplies. Make sure it says “aircraft paint remover” or something like that.
Yeah I didn't even think about just using stripper instead of blasting it. Good idea. Thank you.

Tony

A bit more completed. Feels like I am slow to make progress right now with so much going on. I started putting together the shifter assembly and also removed the wiring harness from the car to give it its final wrap. I have to say, the TESA tape does give it a nicer look.
I must have thrown away the cable bracket that holds the DF bracket. So I ordered one of those.

Here is a picture of my the hoses going into the exchanger tubes. The one hanging down just needs to be cut to length and attached. Which I have already done.
View attachment 7497

Also a bit interesting, today marks 1 year ago that I was working on removing parts off the donor. I lost a ton of time when we sold our home and bought another.
I'm having some trouble deciphering the actual routing... Is the pump supposed to be pushing up to the IC, or is the inlet from the IC and pumping to the front?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
It shouldn't matter which direction it pumps or where it goes. All it does is circulate coolant in basically a series circuit.

When I set mine up, I kept two ideas in my head.

1. I wanted gravity to assist in pulling the coolant down and through the pump. (Not sure if that even matters since the pump has to push the coolant up on the other side.)
  2. I wanted the pump to be on the cool side of the radiator. The theory being that the increased water temp on the hot side could decrease the operating life of the pump. (Not sure if that even matters either since the coolant doesn't get super hot anyways)
Just a couple thoughts.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Anyone know what thread / length the lower control arm bolts are? (the ones that hold the two smaller bolts, not the subframe one)

These?

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Practiced my powder coating skills tonight. It went pretty good. Easier than I thought. I powder coated the coil over top pieces, battery tie down and a couple of the front suspension pieces.

Here is the finished product. The powder is called "black diamond". It has a slightly textured look. I also bought some the same color as my frame to use on some other parts.

I used a toaster oven right now. So I am limited to smaller items. I may get a super cheap old electric oven to use to do the valve cover, supercharger and seat brackets eventually. I still need to figure out if I want to purchase a larger compressor so I can blast items. Or at least find someone that could blast it for me.

Tony

Looks good. My new shop already had an oven that was used for PC, I just need to buy a gun. You using the Eastwood setup or HF?